Intended for anyone who teaches mathematics in 4th through 10th grades
Course Description: The Common Core State Standards emphasize understanding and using proportional relationships to solve problems rather than learning the steps of an algorithm. In this four-day session you will be immersed in the big ideas of ratio and proportion as outlined in the Common Core State Standards. Participants will experience mathematical tasks that help them learn how to foster deep-level understandings in their students. Topics include
- rates, ratios and unit rates;
- scale and scale factor;
- what it means to reason proportionally;
- connections among proportional relationships, lines and linear relationships;
- the role and importance of clear communication using mathematical language and notation; and
- how the Standards for Mathematical Practice permeate participation in these tasks.